Sunday, December 6, 2020

Sappho (Translation Will James)

 


 

BUY THE BOOK 

SAPPHO

 from Baudelaire & Co, Will James translator

 

A PURPLE FLOWER

 

So what are you like dear?

Look how you tremble  look how you shake

 

A blossom  a tender shoot

A purple flower trampled on the ground

 

They say that Leda once found an egg— like a hyacinth

Virginity  where have you gone?

 

 

HERA

 

Be here by me  Lady Hera 

I pray

And talk of kings  those that sailed to Lesbos

 

They gained great riches there

Exiled they called to you 

And to Zeus

 

Followers of Dionysus be kind now

Help me 

As you helped them

  

FRAGMENTS OF A KIND

 

Come now long-haired lovers

Let us talk of the future 

Who will remember us?

The moon shines full   the maidens stand at the altar 

 

He is dying  Aphrodite  Adonis is dying

What should we do?

Shake your fists

Tear off your clothes

 

The night is long and I sleep alone

Weep for Adonis 

Aphrodite 

Adonis is dying

 

Eros throw off your cloak  show me the sun

Set me on fire 

The night is long and I sleep alone

The wind blows cold down off the mountain

 

Come now long-haired lovers

Let us talk of the future 

Who will remember us?

The moon shines full   the maidens stand at the altar 


 

LOVE

 

When you are dead  no one will remember you

For you do not love 

You will wander in the shadows

You will roam lost in the house of the dead

 

Death is evil  so the gods say 

Some say an army of horsemen (some say ships)

Are the fairest things on this black earth

But I say love is the fairest thing on this black earth

 

APHRODITE

 

Glittering goddess   weaver of spells and incantations

Pierce my heart with an invisible arrow

 

And leave me undone  until we are one

Have pity on me  come to me now  hear my voice

 

Hear my cry   hear my prayer

Flee the house of your father   abandon that house of gold

 

And ride on your chariot with your white horses and doves

Come to me and laugh at my lunacy

 

And free me of my longing and let us ride

On your chariot with your white horses and doves

 

GIRLS

 

Girls  I remember my youth 

A gift of the goddess  

A fragrant blossom that lingered in the air

Like notes played on an ancient guitar

 

But now time has seized my body

Now my hair is white

My legs won’t support me

Those same legs that once danced

 

And floated on stages and foreign shores

I grieve often for my state 

But what can I do?

I am human

 

Once long ago  a handsome youth  

Rode on ocean waves  looking for love

And only found it when the world

Had turned dark and his hair had turned gray

 

 

PERSEPHONE

 

Once decades ago in the aura of the morning sun

I  watched a girl picking flowers

And then from in the sky I saw a dark cloud

And I heard her cry aloud

 

Again I looked from my open door

But I could see the girl no more

The cloud had vanished  taking her away

To a world beyond the aura of the morning sun

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment