Friday, June 5, 2020

Lady G

The moon comes out from behind a cloud
and witnesses a meeting between J Edgar Hoover
and Lady G in Lafayette Park.
Lightning flashes and so begins a clandestine romance.
In the shadows, the two lovers begin to dance.
One moans and the other cries out aloud.

I dream a dark dream and see a dark truth.
I see automatons with automatic weapons standing guard 
in front of the Lincoln Memorial. I see looters 
in Manhattan and Beverly Hills.
I see David Dorn murdered on Martin Luther King Drive
for nothing but a TV.  Apathy kills.

Almost forty years ago, in the Dallas County Jail,
I witnessed an intoxicated black man 
put in a chokehold for over ten minutes.
His body limp, his eyes 
lifeless, blank. I was under arrest for DWI.
I was white and did not die.











No comments:

Post a Comment