Sunday, August 4, 2013

FROM BLACK TO BLUE

Listen here: FROM BLACK TO BLUE 

In my mind, I hear your voice
telling me that you had no choice.
That there was nothing left to do.
That your world had gone from black to blue.

Do you have nothing left to hide,
there on the other side?
No more secrets, no more lies,
no more need for alibis?

Was there nothing I could say
to make you want to stay?
Did you really have to go?
That's what I want to know.



*Note: While the poem above was written shortly after learning of the death of my childhood friend in 2004, the one below was written sometime later. My old friend struggled with both addiction and a mood disorder. I played rhythm guitar for him in eighth and ninth grade and in exchange he taught me how to play lead guitar and bass; he played with breathtaking virtuosity. He went on to become one of the finest jazz bass players in the Twin Cities.  Sadly I lost touch with him after I left Minnesota in the mid seventies and was never able to carry "the message" of recovery to him; that regret echoes in the lines above. What a loss...



SHE ONCE BELIEVED IN HAPPY ENDINGS

Once a stone has been dropped
into the depths of a green and living pond,
it cannot be recalled, the action cannot be undone;
it has become a part of that green continuum.
Reality has been changed,
altered, rearranged.

I met him in the eighth grade.
He took LSD on the weekends and was already
a guitar virtuoso. 
He loved the early Yardbirds, jazz and blues. 
He taught me how to jam.
He once fired me from a junior high band

but he was always kind. 
Years later a storm blew in.
Voices roared in his head.
He wanted to banish them to the darkness.
But how could he win
against such a big wind? 

Where could he begin?
Wishes changed nothing.
So he taped his ID 
to his wrist and put a gun
to his head
and squeezed the trigger until he was dead.

Each night his mother longs to dream of her only son,
before the voices and the gun.
She once believed in happy endings 
but no more,
not without her son, 
not in a world undone.



No comments:

Post a Comment