Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From Black to Blue

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_4332412

My song FROM BLACK TO BLUE was written after learning of the death of my childhood friend. After years of struggling with addiction and a mood disorder, he took his life. I played rhythm guitar for him in eighth & ninth grade; in exchange he taught me how to play lead guitar & bass; he played with breathtaking virtuosity. He went on to become one of the finest jazz bass players in the Twin Cities.  Sadly I lost touch with him after I left Minnesota in the mid 70s & was never able to carry "the message" of recovery to him; that regret echoes in the lines below. What a loss...


From Black to Blue 

In my mind, I hear your voice
telling me that you had no choice.
That there was nothing left to do.
That your world had gone from black to blue.

Do you have nothing left to hide,
there on the other side?
No more secrets, no more lies,
no more need for alibis?

Was there nothing I could say
to make you want to stay?
Did you really have to go?
That's what I want to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment